Cardboard.
Yes, Cardboard starts off my list. You might as well call it the perfect disposable toy. And the great thing about it is that it's never limited to just being a box, as everyone parent knows well. As Calvin and Hobbes demonstrated over and over it can be a time machine, a duplicating machine and, of course, a transmogrifier.
The bonus is that it is easy to become inundated with it, thanks to online shopping. I have made toilet paper/ paper towel rockets, a cereal box marble run, and most recently a dog house. I suppose I should tack on duct tape, especially the blue kind we have at our place.
I was worried that Hulu wouldn't be carrying this seasons episodes after I'd gotten hooked on them. Both are on FX, and we don't have cable. Archer is an incredibly irreverent spy cartoon (very Adult Swim-ish) and Justified is the best cop show since The Shield. I highly suggest it. (I would highly suggest Archer, but it pushes the limit sometimes, and I don't want to be yelled at).
I still enjoy NBC's Thursday shows, but these are the ones I get excited for.
As you should know, I'm now 100% behind Real Salt Lake, but I decided that I really needed to get into the MLS this season, so I did something I've never done before, I joined a fantasy league. I suppose it's not one in the classic sense, but I didn't have to worry about the obnoxious draft, and got Nick Rimando and Tim Ream as my defense. and that makes me happy.
Normally, I'm not a fan of fantasy leagues because I feel that somehow, you betray your real team by hoping other players do well, but I really want the MLS to succeed and this is a way for me to put my money where my mouth is.
Family
I've got a cute wife, an awesome son and a baby girl that will soon be here. They have been an anchor in my life the past couple of years and I feel Emily has had to put up with a lot. I'm lucky to have them.
So there you go, not a huge list, but a list nonetheless. Also, I wanted you all to know that I do try and comment on comments, so if you do comment, check back.
I love your list- short, simple. I love that you like cardboard. Honestly, one of my favorite projects/activities was when I was working at The Playground daycare- I'd been teaching them about medieval times and knights and castles and such- we read The Castle in The Attic (these were school-age kids), and for a fun project, I had them bring in TP tubes, paper towel tubes, and any cereal/cracker type boxes.
ReplyDeleteWe painted all the cardboard gray with darker gray "stone" rectangles, and turned it all into a "build your own castle" building set- it was pretty freakin' awesome! So easy to make, so versatile! And since it's all cardboard, no huge loss if any gets destroyed. Just get some more and make additional pieces. I know the kids had a lot of fun with it, and I had a lot of fun helping them make it!
Good luck with your fantasy soccer team!
I love cardboard too! I actually have a project planned for this summer where I make a play kithcen out of carboard boxes.
ReplyDeleteI've thought about painting, but I'm not sure I want to put that much energy into a doomed toy. I have a tendency to get attached to anything I spend to much time working on.
ReplyDeleteWe have a huge box at the moment that's been mocking me with possibilities. I'm not sure what a kithcen is, but if it's some kind of spaceship, it sounds exciting!