I love this picture. What do I love about it? The fact that he's flashing a peace sign (or victory, but I prefer peace). I have to say that I'm proud of Egyptians. Standing up to tyranny is not easy task (just ask Libya), but they did it in a way that, I think, blew a lot of people minds. There was a little bit of violence (you can't hurt the handsome off of Anderson Cooper), but for the most part it was a big sit in. I know that the future will have to play out, and nothing is certain after a revolution, but the way it was handled by the protesters has to be applauded.
But...
I think a huge part of the success was because the military refused to turn on their people. If they hadn't, I think we'd be seeing similar scenes as to what is going on in Libya. And you never now what will happen when military leaders step in (both Mubarak and Gaddafi were military men).
Now, allow me to step back a bit.
There's a rather good photo essay that briefly goes over the history of major revolutions, and one point, to me, sticks out rather nicely. How do the people who come into power view themselves? In the U.S., there was plenty of bickering (and an eventual civil war) but, I would say, the transition from English Colony to the country we now has been pretty fluid (except, once again, The Civil War. "But there wasn't anything civil about it!" Shut up Virginia.). I'd say England shift to a Constitutional Monarchy was also not too shabby.
In contrast, in France (and Russia, and Cuba, etc.) the people who came into power still considered themselves revolutionaries! So what did they do? Kill anyone that wasn't one. In France, you had La Terror, and all the fun the Guillotine could handle (which, by the way, was used until 19770). Killing was also a favorite past time of Lenin and Stalin. In short, you don't want a "Revolutionary Government."
I my mind that is a more likely result in Libya, or maybe even something similar to the breakup of Yugoslavia, with different tribes breaking the country up.
So, all that said, what about revolutions going on right now...
Protesters taking over a capital building. Politicians leaving their states. If this isn't revolt, I don't know what is.
I meant to comment back when I first read this thoughtful and provocative post...
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I love not only what you have to say, but the way you say it.
It has been very interesting to watch these events unfold in Africa and the Middle East. Is it just me, or does this seem like it could very likely be the necessary gateway to getting the gospel preached in countries previously closed to any Christianity?
I just can't help but feel that, good or bad, these protests and revolutions against totalitarian governments will be key in opening the way for Christianity and our missionaries... One step closer to Christ's return. Summer is getting closer to being over.
And as far as our own country is concerned, it is also rather fascinating to see how people are choosing to deal with different forms of domestic "tyranny." In light of what these most recent forms of U.S. revolt are connected to, I may have to join the revolution myself.
I don't necessarily like the idea of fighting the Republicans, mostly because I still support most of their platform ideas. But right is right, after all, and I just don't agree with the way they're trying to screw over the public servants in the name of fiscal responsibility.
I'm not sure if I share your optimism on the effect of the revolutions and Christianity. I don't think it's any closer than it was in the past with Coptic Christians being the main population of Christianity in Egypt and in other parts of that region. Also, there remains a question mark over the new Egyptian government's relationship with Israel.
ReplyDeleteAlso, here's an article about recent Muslim/Christian relationships in Egypt. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110308/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt
I'm also interested in how other country's demonstrations are going because Libya seems to have stolen the spot light, and I haven't heard anything new from other countries like Bahrain and Yemen.
I've missed your 'Joe-esc' thoughts. :)
ReplyDeleteGlad to have you back!
I worry what qualifies as "Joe-esc"...
ReplyDelete