Saturday, January 15, 2011

/sewing

I'd like to try and get in a post a week. I'm not sure if I'll be able to hit that mark, but it's always a good idea to have some sort of goal to aim for. Moving on.

If I could, I'd learn woodworking. There's something about creating something out of raw materials that appeals to me. Unfortunately, I'm not in a place where woodworking is a real possibility.

As you may know, I'm married to a rather crafty woman, and a little while ago she bought this book. She made classic sock monkeys and also some monsters inspired by the book.

Flash forward to Noah's birthday this year. As luck would have it, my good friend Matt is also married to a crafty woman, and she made this for Noah:

Photobucket

Well, I asked Em if she would be up for making something for Matt and Nicole's kids, and she suggested that I do it.


Photobucket

Since these original 3, I've gone on to make 6 more plus a rabbit that isn't quite done yet. Rabbit? Yes, a rabbit. For Christmas she got me this book. So, on top of monsters, I'm making cute little animals. This is turning into a problem.

Well, not really. It's more or less awesome.

Creating is manly regardless of what the raw materials are or what the end product is. For the moment it's socks, felt, thread and buttons, and who knows what else.

6 comments:

  1. Joe, that is definitely MORE awesome, not less awesome. I just thought I should clarify. In case you were confused.

    Those monsters rock. I can't wait to see your animals!

    (Out of curiosity, what's the deal with the / before every post title?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's how you emote in World of Warcraft. Seeing how I'm miming this blog, all of the posts are actions. Geeky, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The monsters are awesome! My kids LOVE them!! Thank you so much. You guys need to move closer so we can all craft and create together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, those monsters are super cool. My son Jack wants me to make one with him. I LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little update... Turns out my Hometeaching companion is into woodworking, so we're going to plan some projects together.

    Nicole: Who knows where we'll be in a couple years? I start working toward a new degree in the summer.

    Morgan: They're super easy. I think I'll try a tutorial thing sometime. (There's also a bunch of stuff already out there.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm absolutely obsessed with these monsters! Alexis LOVES hers to pieces, and we feel so special and honored to be the recipients on one. She carries it around everywhere, and tells people, "Joe made it." Maybe that should be the name of your line of sock animals/monsters. Hehehe. Anyway, great creative work! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete