Friday, January 7, 2011

/zippo

I got my degree in French this past spring, and the title of the blog reflects that a bit. Studying French breaks down into a couple of different subjects: grammar, history, culture and literature. Literature, as it turns out, is my favorite part. I like how literature intertwines itself with history and can be a mirror on society and make us face things that we may be unaware of or otherwise ignore. That is why this disgusts me.

Last night I read this article, after maybe hearing or seeing something about it earlier in the day.
In short, a "Mark Twain scholar" has decided to take the N-word out of Huckleberry Finn. In his own words he states his reason, "Both novels can be enjoyed deeply and authentically without those continual encounters with the hundreds of now-indefensible racial slurs." His name is Alan Gribben and is a member of the English faculty at Auburn.

How he can claim that Mark Twain's work could be enjoyed "authentically" without the use of the word is baffling. I'm sure Michelangelo's David could be enjoyed authentically as well while wearing a muumuu. The use of the N-word is more about casting light on the ugliness of racial attitudes of the time and making the reader question the harm the word brings, as opposed to just the casual use of the word by the author. It was meant to offend and shame the people that use it without thinking. Maybe, just maybe, that by keeping it in, and teaching what it means, there would be less use of it now.

Allow me for one moment to go a step further than what was said in the CNN article. I like science fiction (stay with me here) especially Fahrenheit 451. Why is there censorship and book burnings in Ray Bradbury's vision of the future? People might be offended, or hurt by what they read. Removing the N-word (and several other slurs like "injun") from Mark Twain's novel is a step toward this future. I joke about "seashells" becoming ever more common and "Parlor Walls" being one CES away, but white washing works of fiction for commercial gain (let's admit it that's what this is about, selling the book to people who use the word and don't want to see themselves in the characters) is one step closer to Montag hiding books in his vent.

3 comments:

  1. Love the post title... very appropriate.

    Wow. I share your disgust. At first, as I clicked on the first link to the Amazon page, I thought you were disgusted by pairing of the novels which, though connected by characters, are on two very different levels. Tom Sawyer is more an adventure story; Huck Finn is more the profound social commentary.

    As I read the post and the linked articles, my disgust grew with you.

    A line from a completely different book kept popping into my head: "The word gives meaning to the event." Long story short, authors choose words for a reason, and when those words are changed, so, too is the meaning of the piece, regardless of what this "professor" says... Sure, the plot of the story won't change, but Twain's point certainly will.

    It is just wrong.

    (P.S. I loved the comparison with the David... it made me smile!)

    (P.P.S. That reminds me, I need to read Fahrenheit 451 again- I love that book! It has been too long since I read it last...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, I just read Farenheit 451 again for like the 5th time. I agree completely. Wish we could all hang out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elise, yes you should read it again.

    Melody, how's Michigan treating you guys?

    ReplyDelete